Origin of Mark
The mark "Marshall Pottery" is born in far 1895 when the Mister W.F. Rocker, from Kentucky, came to the East Texas town of Marshall. The reason he was attracted to Marshall was due to the abundance of the two natural ingredients his business needed—white clay and water.
IMPORTANT TURNING POINT: ENTRY ELLIS'S FAMILY
Through a series of ownerships, the pottery finally fell into the hands of Sam Ellis around 1905. The story is told that Mr. Ellis, who was a blacksmith by trade, would walk by the Pottery everyday on his way to and from work. He ended up loaning the owner at that time, a Mr. Studer, $375.55 to build a new kiln. Not long after, Mr. Ellis found a note under a rock at the pottery stating,
“I have this day sold to S.H. Ellis the Marshall Pottery Works, consisting of tools, clay, manufacturing ware, one wagon, two mules…”
Ellis expanded the pottery and put his family to work in the new family business. A fire in 1912 almost destroyed the pottery, and Mr. Ellis was forced for the first time, to borrow $2,000 to rebuild. Canning jars, crocks and syrup jugs were delivered by mule and wagon until 1913 when the first Marshall Pottery truck was bought. Soon thereafter, the invention of the metal syrup bucket and then the glass canning jar in the 1920’s nearly spelled doom for the business. Interestingly enough, according to Sam Ellis’ son, the coming of prohibition saved the pottery. Had it not been for the sale of jugs for moonshine, the Ellis family said, the company might have folded.
With the accidental discovery of a lower firing clay in the 1940’s history was written. The company started producing its second product line, flower pots. The two manufacturing lines are still produced today although both processes have been modernized and updated with new processes and technologies.
The Mark "Marshall Pottery" became famous a the end of 90s and aroused the interest of the major terracotta manufacturers.
DEROMA GROUP PURCHASES MARSHALL POTTERY
In 1997 Deroma Group,leader in terracotta pottery manufacturer world wide, purchased Marshall Pottery that became DEROMA USA.
Deroma Group invested to modernize the implants and create new others to improve the pots production.
Today Marshall Pottery has reached a capacity of more then 100,000 pots a day.
Below there is current plant of Marshall.